KING COUNTY, Wash. — With colder weather expected to move in across the region this weekend, King County is preparing to open several warming shelters.
With the anticipation that temperatures will drop and the potential for lowland snow, Seattle plans to open three emergency shelters starting Saturday through Wednesday and opening nightly at 7 p.m.
The city plans to open the following shelters:
- Seattle Center Exhibition Hall (two locations) — 301 Mercer Street. This site will be operated by the Salvation Army.
- Compassing Housing Alliance in Pioneer Square — 210 Alaskan Way South.
Officials said the shelters will follow COVID-19 safety and screening protocols. There will also be added air filtration at the sites.
In addition, Seattle public libraries and the Seattle Center Armory will be open to those who are seeking shelter from the elements during the day.
Anyone in need of shelter can call 211 or 1-877-211-9274.
Help is also available for those with a child 18 years old and younger. You can call the Coordinated Family Intake Line at 206-245-1026 between 8 a.m. and 11:30 p.m.
The following King County locations are open Dec. 25 to 29. The list is provided by the King County Regional Homelessness Authority:
East King County
- Bellevue: Congregations for the Homeless (515B 116th Ave NE, Bellevue), for adult men, 425-496-4885, closest bus route is the 271,
- Kirkland: The Sophia Way, two locations, Helen’s Place (8045 120th Ave NE, Suite 200, Kirkland) and Sophia’s Place (3030 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue), women or women with children only, 425-896-7385, closest bus routes are the 239 and 250
- Kirkland: New Bethlehem Place (8045 120th Ave NE, Suite 100, Kirkland), for families with children, 425-679-0354
- Redmond: Friends of Youth (16101 NE 87th ST Suite 110, Redmond), for youth and young adults, 206-236-5437
- Issaquah: Day Center – Issaquah Senior Center (75 NE Creek Way, Issaquah), Dec. 26 at 10:00am – 6:00pm, Dec. 27-30 at 8:30am-4:00pm, Dec. 31 at 10:00am-6:00pm
North King County
- Shoreline: St. Dunstan’s Church serving as Shoreline Emergency Shelter (722 N 145th St, Shoreline, off Aurora), for single adults and couples, 8:30pm – 7:30am
- Shoreline: Lake City Partners (16357 Aurora Ave N, Shoreline), for single adults and couples, 206-913-2267
- Kenmore: Hopelink (18015 63rd Ave NE, Kenmore), for families with children, closest bus route is the 522
South King County
Please note that shelters marked confirmed are open; other shelters are independently making their decisions on whether or when to open. Please call ahead.
- Auburn: Sundown Overnight Shelter (2806 Auburn Way N., Auburn), open 9:00pm nightly, Dec. 25-27, 253-833-8925, closest bus route is the 271
- Burien: Highline United Methodist Church (13015 1st Ave. S., Burien), Dec. 26-31, 7:00pm – 8:00am (may extend hours), 206-241-5520, email@example.com, closest bus route is the 131
- Kent HOPE (9909 Canyon Dr., Kent), for women or women with children, 206-200-8610, closest bus route is the 160/168 along Canyon Rd/E Smith St.
- Federal Way: Fusion Family Center, please call the King County Family Intake Line at 206-245-1026; Federal Way first responders can call 253-838-0950 for 24hr support for unhoused families. Also open for single adults starting Dec. 26. Closest bus route is the 500 from the South and A Line or 903 from the North
- Renton Highlands Community Center (800 Edmonds Avenue NE, Renton), Dec. 26 – Jan. 2, at 8:00pm – 7:00am
- Sequim: OLYCAP at 525 North 5th Avenue at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. Open Friday to Dec. 31 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Seqium: Sequim Library at 630 North Sequim Avenue. Open Mon-Thu 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fri-Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
- Port Angeles: Serenity House on West 18th will have expanded services and transport.
- Port Angeles: Port Angeles Library on Lauridsen Boulevard will be open Mon-Thu 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fri-Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
- Forks: Forks Library on Forks Avenue will be open Mon-Thu 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fri-Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
- Clallam Bay: Clallam Bay Library on 112 across from the school will be open Mon-Thu 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fri-Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
- Clallam Bay: Clallam County Fire Department #5 on Eagle Crest Way will be open periodically from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. dependent on volunteer availability.
- Kitsap County Fairgrounds Pavilion: 1200 Fairgrounds Road Northwest, Bremerton WA 98311. Sunday, Dec. 26 and Monday, Dec. 27 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. No guests will be admitted after 4:30 p.m. Pets are also permitted, but must be crated. Water, hot drinks and snacks will be provided. Guests without transportation can call 360-373-3000 to request transportation to the facility.
Snohomish County: Information from the Snohomish County Public Safety Hub
- South County Cold Weather Shelter: (Lynnwood) – Transportation to the shelter provided, see van schedule at http://www.weallbelong.org. Call for location if you have your own vehicle: 206-743-9843.
- Everett Cold Weather Shelter: 2624 Rockefeller Ave, Everett WA 98201, 425-977-9686. Opens at 6:00PM. Closes at 8:30PM.
- Monroe Cold Weather Shelter: 1012 W Main St, Monroe. 206-606-3573. Opens at 8PM. Closes at 10PM.
- Snohomish Cold Weather Shelter: 210 Ave B, Snohomish WA. 206-606-3573. Opens at 8PM. Closes at 10PM.
- Everett Family Cold Weather Shelter: 5126 S 2nd Avenue, Everett. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Opens at 4PM. Closes at 8PM.
- Ilwaco: Grays Harbor Community College at 208 Advent Avenue Southeast in Ilwaco from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Dec. 25 and Dec. 26. People interested in volunteering can call 360-214-1046.
Pierce County: Information from the Tacoma Pierce County Coalition to End Homelessness
Saturday, December 25 through at least Friday, December 31, extra overnight shelter capacity is available at multiple sites:
- Tacoma Rescue Mission Men and Women’s Shelter – 425 South Tacoma Way, Tacoma, WA 98402 – serves single men and single women. Three meals served daily. Clients may be transported to a satellite shelter.
- Beacon Center Young Adult Shelter – 415 S 13th St, Tacoma, WA 98402 – young adults aged 18-25
- Roosevelt Barracks Crisis Residential Center – 1301 Orting Kapowsin Hwy E, Orting, WA 98360 – serves honorably discharged veterans. email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to access site.
- Nativity House Shelter – 702 S 14th St, Tacoma, WA 98405 – serves single men and single women. Three meals served daily.
©2021 Cox Media Group